Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Revelation, and comps

I just finished two of my four comprehensive exams. That went smoothly. Actually, translating Revelation has been a bigger challenge. We had difficulty with "I hold the keys to death and Hades." (Rev. 1:18). For now, we have it as, "I am in charge of death. And I can open up the room/space of the dead." We also found Rev. 3:2 to be too complex to fit into one congruent thought. The phrase that says "Strengthen what remains and is about to die because I have not found your deeds to be complete in the sight of my God" must have the idea of completion/perfection, and both Jesus and God need to be examining the deeds. For now, it says: "but you must work hard to lift up again the deeds you did at first, because I haven't found a deed that you started and carried out until completion that is straight in my God's eyes." But, I want to break the sentence up so it flows better.

No comments: